Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Wise and Foolish Builder

I had been working on my Personal Progress for about 5 years (as an adult) and was almost done. I just needed to do one last project, and I wanted to do something cool! I came up with this idea to tackle all of the parables of the Savior as recorded in the four gospels of the New Testament (I think I found them all). The Bible Dictionary gave GREAT help in showing me that each parable has an interpretation and an application. The interpretation being what the Lord interpreted it to be at the time he gave it, and the application being however you apply it to your life wherever and whenever you are. I used many sources to help me with this project: scriptures (obviously), institute manuals, wikipedia, and a few other web sites. I don't cite the sources as I go along because I'm lazy. Sorry.

I am LDS so my ideas, views and opinions will reflect that. I do not claim to be a preacher or professor of anything! These are Just. My. Thoughts!

For each parable I found a conference talk (when available) that I felt went well with each parable. I'll post a blog for each parable. SO! If you want to leave a comment with your ideas for how we can apply these parables to our lives, GREAT! If you want to just comment about how dumb I am, please don't. My ego is fragile enough. Thank you.

Laura Kemner

 Matthew 7:24-27

Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

And everyone that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Classification: Prayer and Earnestness in Religious Life

Narrative: After delivering the sermon on the mount Jesus spoke these words. This was the sermon that made him stand out from all the other biblical scholars. Matt 7:28-29 "And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine: for he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes."

Interpretation: The rock, or the firm foundation, is the gospel of Jesus Christ. The houses are individual lives. The storms are the troubles that arise in the world and life.

Application: Building a strong testimony is the gospel of Jesus Christ and holding fast to them when the storms of life come along makes one wise. Ignoring the gospel, and loafing through life living in whatever way pleases one, makes them foolish. When the storms of life come along they don't know how to deal with it.
The line about the house on the sandy foundation (and great was the fall of it) reminds me of 1 Nephi 11:36 "And it came to pass...that the great and spacious building was the pride of the world; and it fell, and the fall thereof was exceedingly great."

The best application of this parable would be to take a look at our own lives, test our foundations and make sure they are strong. If they're not strong, go back to the basics of saying prayers, reading your scriptures and attending church.

Wise and Foolish Builders by Danny Hahlbohm


"Upon This Rock" Bruce R. McConkie



4 comments:

  1. Wow. This looks like a lot of work. You are such an amazing lady to take on such a grand pursuit. Way to ROCK it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited to read YOUR THOUGHTS! This one is awesome (and so is the cool picture). I love that you likened this parable to the great and spacious building. I don't know how many times I've read Lehi's vision but it wasn't until President Parker pointed it out to me a few years ago that I realized it had NO foundation because "it stood as it were in the air, high above the earth" (1 Nephi 8:26).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Thank you for your thoughts. Like you imply, Jesus is the foundation of our lives, or should be. Jesus is also explaining that we must *act* on his words. We must do them. So, this is the foundation as well. This is because when we do them, Jesus works through us, is in us and moves us. Here are my brief thoughts on the parable:
    The Wise and Foolish Builder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, I agree with you 100%. Very well said. I guess the problem I'm finding as a blogger (this is my first one. And probably my only one.) Is learning when I'm saying too much. I truly believe that if a person is hearing, truly hearing, that the Spirit will guide them to action. My hope from all of this would be for myself, and others, to learn better how to listen to the Spirit. Learn how He would want me to work and how, and when.

      Delete